Chapter Start-up Assistance
Can We Start a Hands & Voices Chapter In Our Area?
The only thing better than a statewide parent/professional group that's united on behalf of our d/hh kids is a whole nation working together towards this cause. In this section, learn how your group and state can become a part of Hands & Voices, the fastest growing d/hh parent-driven organization of its kind in the country.
Hands & Voices is committed to supporting local and state chapter growth of our organization. As a group with a proven track record of success in unifying the diversely communicating community, we hope to expand our shared mission, vision, and commitment to improving educational and social outcomes for all our children and students who are deaf or hard of hearing, regardless of their mode or method of communication.
Join us. We can help your local and state efforts towards family support, and your efforts can help us nationally. Do you want and need to change the world for the better for kids? You bet. This is something we can all agree on, and the strength of our numbers can make the difference.
Five Step Start up Plan
Starting an H&V chapter in your area begins by contacting us. There may be start-up efforts under way that you can participate in, and we would love to talk to you prior to starting the process. We are available to provide technical assistance and tailor the start up to your specific state needs. Email us.
Hands & Voices Five-Step Start Up Plan for an H&V Chapter in your state:
1. Review the Hands & Voices mission statement and philosophy--can you and your group support the vision? Complete the chapter application and send to H&V National for approval, providing assurance that your chapter will function in accordance with policies and procedures we'll provide.
2. Recruit parent(s), consumers, and professional(s) willing to work collaboratively as board members (comprised by a majority of parents) or in an advisory board capacity. Relegate members to administrative, functioning roles or advisory roles. Ensure a balanced representation of methodology and language amongst the board membership. Prioritize training goals.
3. Adopt by-laws (can be based on H&V National by-laws) for operating as a chapter, based on your board's priorities, and apply for non-profit incorporation status in your state.
4. Establish a database by linking to public schools, newborn identification programs, private schools (if applicable), state school for the deaf, and other related service organizations or resources in your state.
5. Develop priorities based on consensual decision making and direction of the administrative and advisory boards, then create a five-year plan (including a budget) that outlines strategies for growth and outreach to all families in your state.
Hands & Voices, PO Box 3093, Boulder, CO 80307 - (303) 300-9763 V/TTY