Why We're Here
Most organizations for or of the deaf rally around common interests that usually include a philosophy of communication that is promoted by that group. Hands & Voices does not promote specific communication choices or methodologies, but we have information about them and can direct families or professionals to other fine support organizations for specific information like the Alexander Graham Bell Association or The American Society for Deaf Children, just to name a few. Our rallying points are areas of interest that are common to all people, but especially parents, connected by the interests of the Deaf or Hard of Hearing, and include these values...
- We all want the best for our children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- We deserve respect and honor for our role as parents/families. We require a beneficial, successful educational experience for our kids.
- We need information from a wide variety of sources.
- We want to know about opportunities and resources.
- We need training & support to become effective advocates for our kids.
- We are stronger united by our common interests than divided by differing communication choices.
- We must lend our organized support to all kinds of efforts that promote our common interests--strength in numbers!
For more information that defines the need for an organization like ours, go to pages below: